Pasco Stand Down 2014
When: October 24 - 26, 2014 | Where: Veterans Memorial Park, Hudson,FL
What is a Stand Down?
In times of war, exhausted combat units requiring time to rest and recover were removed from the battlefields to a place of security and safety. Today, Stand Down refers to a grassroots, community-based intervention program designed to help the nation’s estimated 67,000 homeless veterans “combat” life on the streets.
Stand Down is a time for the community to connect with our homeless veterans and to begin to break down the barriers that are keeping these heroes on the streets. The “hand up, not a handout” philosophy of Stand Down requires the work of countless volunteers, businesses, and local, state and national organizations. Organization representatives will be available to answer questions about the event and to encourage individuals to become involved.
Who is the Stand Down For?
All at risk or homeless veterans living in Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough or Hernando Counties FL. Transportation available for veterans in all 4 counties, please visit our pick up locations page for current locations. We will add more if needed, no one will be left without transportation!
Ways you can help:
- Donation of Goods—reading glasses, boots, backpacks, personal hygiene items and more.
- Donation of Time—volunteers are needed to cut hair, serve meals, set-up, clean up, sort donations, provide medical and dental services, massages, therapy, etc.
- Become a Vendor—we are looking for organizations and businesses that provide needed goods and services to Veterans and their families.
- Become a Corporate Sponsor—various levels of sponsorship are available.
- Become a Financial Donor—we need funds to purchase food, personal hygiene items, tents, port-o-lets, sleeping cots and other necessary supplies.
“Stand Down” began in San Diego in 1988. Twenty-five years later, that organization has celebrated many successes, and was featured in 2010 on “60 Minutes.” There are now more than 200 Stand Downs throughout the country. While many Stand Downs are a one-day event, this is the first time that our community will emulate a two-day San Diego model, for all homeless veterans located in Pasco County.
Does It Make a Difference?
Yes. Stand Down has been successful in matching the right services to those Veterans who are struggling to get their life back together.
Even for those veterans who return to life on the streets, Stand Down is an opportunity for them to take safe harbor from “combat on the streets” for one weekend a year. Certainly, our Veterans deserve at least that.